EPA 30th Anniversary Symposium: “Are people with mental illness truly citizens of Europe?”
Within the frame of its global mission “To improve psychiatry and mental health care in Europe”, the EPA is giving particular attention to the protection of the human and civil rights of people with mental disorders. As such, and as part of its 30th Anniversary celebrations in 2013, the EPA decided to dedicate a special 30th Anniversary Symposium to the topic “Are people with mental illness truly citizens of Europe?”. This Symposium took place at the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, France, on 15 November 2013 and was followed by a cocktail at the Strasbourg town hall. The Symposium was held under the auspices of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Mr Thorbjørn Jagland and in the framework of the European Year of Citizens.
The Symposium aimed to improve awareness of the importance of ensuring that the legislation in European countries contains appropriate provisions concerning the protection of people with mental illness, because this would help them to be truly recognized as European citizens. The programme included presentations on ethical, political and cultural aspects of the problem and was followed by a round table involving representatives of the most important organisations working in the field.
The symposium opened with presentations addressing:
- “Human Rights in relation to vulnerable groups such as mentally ill”(Thorsten AFFLERBACH, Council of Europe) (abstract, slides)
- “Community psychiatry and treatment of mental illness in the community” (Merete NORDENTOFT, Denmark) (abstract, articles)
- “How to facilitate and support self-determination of patients in psychiatric practice” (Andreas HEINZ, Germany) (abstract, slides)
- “Interaction between culture, mental illness and human rights” (Norman SARTORIUS, Switzerland) (abstract, slides, recommended readings)
The presentations were followed by a Round Table discussion moderated by Marianne KASTRUP, Chair of EPA’s Committee on Ethical Issues. Thank you to the Round Table participants:
- Danuta WASSERMAN, EPA President
- Michael HÜBEL, European Commission - DG Sanco
- Matt MUIJEN, WHO Europe representative
- Bert JOHNSON, EUFAMI President
- Diane GOSLAR, Patient
- Evelyn BITCON, Carer
Click here to view the complete programme of the Symposium.