Requirements for the hosting institution
- The hosting institution will provide short (2-8 weeks) clinical and/or research and/or teaching placements.
- The hosting institution will not have to cover or reimburse expenses related to the travel, accommodation, food, visa, insurance or other expenses of the participant. All of these need to be taken care of by the participant. However, if the hosting institution can offer additional financial or other support, such as accommodation in student or hospital premises, this must be negotiated on individual basis between the hosting institution and the participant before the beginning of the programme.
- The hosting institution is encouraged to organise a staff meeting for the applicant to present themselves and their previous work, home institution and interests (using slides/verbally).
- It is advised to engage a local ECP in the programme.
Requirements for the applicants
- The applicants must be ECPs (psychiatrists under 40 years of age and/or 5 years after passing the specialist exam) and reside in a country included in the World Health Organisation Europe region
- The applicant should be fluent in English, or Italian - for the placement in Italy only (see list of placements)
- The applicant cannot apply for a placement in the country he/she is currently living in
- The selected applicant will have to negotiate the terms with his/her own institution to go on leave
- The EPA office will send an initial e-mail to introduce the applicant to their supervisor. The selected applicant will have to negotiate dates and details of their observership directly with their supervisor. When an agreement has been reached, the selected applicant should report planned dates of the observership to the EPA Office.
- The selected applicant is encouraged to prepare a presentation about their work, institution and interests to be performed upon arrival at the hosting institution as a way of sharing knowledge.
- The selected applicant is strongly encouraged to also present the experience gained during the programme at their home institution.
- Once the observership is completed, each participant needs to write a final report and fill in an evaluation form and send it to the EPA Office. Once the final report and the evaluation form have been received, the participant will be issued a certificate and the EPA Office will proceed with the payment of the scholarship.
- There is no application fee to the programme. For successful applicants, EPA is pleased to offer scholarships to help with travel, accommodation and other expenses. The scholarship amounts to 800 EUR per applicant.
Applications for the EPA ECPC 2016-2017 Gaining Experience Programme are now closed.
Please note that the selection results will be announced in November and all the placements will be organised in 2017.
For any questions, please use this contact form (select "Early Career Psychiatrists" from the drop-down list).