Requirements for the applicants
- The applicants must be Early Career Psychiatrists (psychiatrists under 40 years of age and/or 5 years after passing the specialist exam) and reside in a country included in the World Health Organisation Europe region (NB: residents and trainees are not eligible for this programme).
- The applicant should be fluent in English, and possibly have notions of the host country language for clinical purposes (see list of placements).
- The applicant cannot apply for a placement in the country he/she is currently living in.
- The applicant must be familiar with the proposed specialty of the department/ institution.
- The selected applicant will have to negotiate the terms with his/her own institution to go on leave.
There is no application fee to the programme. For successful applicants, EPA is pleased to offer scholarships to help with travel, accommodation and other expenses.
Administrative procedure for selected participants
- The EPA office will send an initial e-mail to introduce the applicant to their supervisor. The selected applicant will have to negotiate dates and details of their observership directly with their supervisor before making any arrangements, within two months after the announcement of selected participants. When an agreement has been reached, the selected applicant should report planned dates of the observership to the EPA Office.
- The selected applicant is encouraged to prepare a presentation about their work, institution and interests to be performed upon arrival at the hosting institution as a way of sharing knowledge.
- The selected applicant is strongly encouraged to also present the experience gained during the programme at their home institution.
- Once the observership is completed, each participant needs to write a final report and fill in an evaluation form and send it to the EPA Office. Once the final report and the evaluation form have been received, the participant will be issued a certificate and the EPA Office will proceed with the payment of the scholarship.
Applications for the 2019-2020 Gaining Experience Programme will open soon. Stay informed by visiting the EPA website or signing up to the EPA Newsletter.
For any questions, please contact Coline GODARD at email@example.com.