Aims & Objectives
Sexual dysfunction is an important aspect of psychiatric disorders as well as of general well being and health. Most psychiatric disorders and the medications used to alleviate them are associated with sexual dysfunctions that substantially impact intimate relationships, adherence to treatment and quality of life of our patients. Still, this field has been neglected by psychiatrists and is dominated by other specialties like urologists, gynaecologists, etc.
The objective of this section is to make interested psychiatrists aware of the importance of sexual function and dysfunction and to update them on the advances in neurobiology, nosology and treatments in the field.
- To make interested psychiatrists aware of the importance of sexual function and dysfunction and to update them on the advances in neurobiology, nosology and treatments in the field.
- An annual symposium on Sexual Medicine and Mental Health at every EPA Congress.
- An annual meeting for all section members to discuss professional issues and the future of human sexuality in psychiatry.
- Regular contact by e-mail among section members, to exchange knowledge and opinions.
- Creation of position statements in order to achieve similar or better standards across the various European countries.