Krzysztof KRYSTA, Chair
Michael - Mark THEIL, Co-Chair
Bhathika PERERA, Secretary
Samuel ELSTNER, Councillor
Aims & Objectives
The mission of the Section Mental Health in Intellectual Disabilities is to raise awareness of the mental health difficulties of people with intellectual disabilities and their assessment and management to all psychiatrists practising in Europe.
- To raise the issue of the mental health needs of children, young people, and adults with intellectual disabilities and their carers among psychiatrists in Europe
- To develop EPA recommendations on the psychiatric care of people with intellectual disabilities
- To promote research on mental health in intellectual disabilities
- To promote education in psychiatric training programmes on intellectual disabilities
- To work collaboratively with partner Sections of EPA on their relevance to people with intellectual disabilities
- To achieve the objectives through publication and academic meetings of EPA
- To collaborate with intellectual disabilities organisations and professional psychiatric associations in Europe
EPA Section MHID and Polish Psychiatric Association Conference, Wisla, Poland 6 - 8 December 2017Description:
The EPA Section MHID was invited by the Polish Psychiatric Association to attend and present their work at the Conference in Wisla in December 2017. Dr. K. Krysta led on the presentation by the EPA Section MHID at the Conference.
Polish Psychiatric Association
Venue: Wisla, Poland
Attendance: 155 delegates
The Section MHID has worked in 2017 on developing the Guidance paper on MHID. It is a collaborative and joint approach by clinicians from across Europe. The authors have taken advise from the EPA Publications Committee. The paper will be submitted to EPA by March 2018.
Skype teleconferences of EPA Section MHID OfficersDescription:
In order to maintain coherence among the Section Board members, the officers have convened three teleconferences in 2017. The teleconferences have been effective in co-ordinating the work of the Section in preparation for the EPA Congress and organising the activities of the Section.
Attendance: Three EPA Section MHID Officers
EPA Congress 2017Description:
The Section MHID convened a joint symposium with the EPA Ethics Committee on the rights of people with Intellectual Disabilities. Speakers were drawn from Denmark, UK, and Ireland. The symposium was attended by 40 delegates.
EPA Ethics Committee
Venue: EPA Congress 2017
Attendance: Forty delegates
Members of EPA Section MHID attended the CEBMH Conference in Cambridge UK. The theme was mental health where the Section MHID presented on mental health problems in peopls with Intellectual Disabilites led by Dr. K. Krysta of Katowice, Poland.
Venue: Cambridge UK
Attendance: Thirty delegates
Twitter account (@EPA_MHID)Description:
The EPA Section MHID developed its Twitter account in 2017. It currently has 22 followers and is following 132.
The purpose of the account is to raise the profile of the Section and to attract new members to EPA and to attend EPA Congress. In addition, the account will help to disseminate learning and knowledge on MHID and act as a reference point for clinicians interested and wishing to learn about MHID.
The EPA Section MHID hosted an 'Ask-the-Expert' session at EPA Congress 2017. Two officers hosted the session that was successful in promoting MHID among delegates.
Venue: EPA Congress 2017