The Burden of Sleep/Wake Disorders
The European Academy of Neurology (EAN) and its partners are proposing a research project on “The Burden of Sleep/Wake Disorders: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and Insomnia“. The initial idea of this project was inspired on the European Brain Council (EBC)’s Value of Treatment projects. Currently, this research intends not only to systematically assess the scientific literature on the topic, but also to explore the socio-economic consequences of insomnia and daytime sleepiness with a patient’s centred perspective.
The objectives of “The Burden of Sleep/Wake Disorders: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and Insomnia” project are:
- To describe insomnia and daytime sleepiness disorders´ taking into consideration their socio-economic burden as reported in current scientific publications.
- To describe insomnia and daytime sleepiness disorders´ impact on the quality of life as referred by patients´ personal experience.
- To compare insomnia and daytime sleepiness disorders´ impact on the quality of life as referred by patients from different macro-European regions.
- To calculate direct and indirect economic costs attributable to insomnia and daytime sleepiness disorders in at least two European countries.
- To provide policy recommendations for insomnia and daytime sleepiness disorders.
In 2021, the EPA officially joined the project as a partner and official supporter.
For more information and updates on “The Burden of Sleep/Wake Disorders” project, check out the dedicated EAN webpage.